What is a BIDF Volunteer?
BIDF Volunteers support our dance-packed outdoor events and exciting work touring around the city centre and to community settings. It’s about connecting people with great dance, inspiring local people and welcoming new audiences.
There is a wide range of volunteer roles across our outdoor festivals whether it’s chaperoning artists, supporting marketing or guiding audiences – all of which are vital to its success.
BIDF Volunteers have a particular focus on our outdoor spaces. Locations include:
- Birmingham City Centre – Centenary Square, Victoria Square, Chamberlain Square and Brindley Place
- Handsworth Park, North Birmingham
- Outdoor Theatre, Midlands Arts Centre & Cannon Hill Park, South Birmingham
Supporting the BIDF festival team, activities will include:
- Greeting and chaperoning artists
- assisting with event and performance setups with our Programming Team
- stewarding events and working alongside our Front of House team
- assisting with family activities and participatory projects
- supporting marketing with social media and flyering
- welcoming festival visitors of all backgrounds
This role will suit people who
You’ll be volunteering as part of the team, working with other volunteers and BIDF staff helping to create a great experience for participants and audiences. This role will suit people who:
- Have good verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Are flexible and willing to volunteer outdoors
- Are enthusiastic about the arts and helping at events
- Are willing to work as part of a team, as well as use their own initiative
If you are passionate and enthusiastic about dance and the arts, enjoy working with a wide range of people and have a “can do” approach, then we’d love to hear from you. Please note that you must be 18+ years of age to volunteer with us.
What’s in it for you?
This is an opportunity to be involved in a vibrant large-scale city-wide event and meet artists and performers from around the world. You can develop new skills to add to your CV, experience ‘behind the scenes of a major festival and meet new people. References will be available following your time with us.
Our outdoor events are taking place across 3 weekends:
- Thursday 16th June – Sunday 19th June at City Centre locations
- Wednesday 22nd June – Sunday 26th June at City Centre locations
- Friday 1st July – Sunday 3rd July at Handsworth Park, North Birmingham
Each day is split into shifts (each shift is approx. 6 hours in duration) and it is up to you how much time you are able to commit. You can tell us about your availability in the application form.
Volunteers have a dedicated Volunteer Coordinator who will be their main point of contact to provide briefings and support in advance and on the day.
You will be provided with a volunteer briefing session in advance of the festival to meet the BIDF team and find out more about the festival and your volunteer role.
We will reimburse travel and food expenses of up to £10.00 per day on days that you volunteer with us. You will need to provide a valid receipt for the travel/food you are claiming for in order to be reimbursed.
How to apply
If you are 18+ and interested in volunteering please read our Full Role Description and complete our Online Volunteer Application Form and Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form. The Equal Opportunities form needs to be submitted, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, we are very happy to receive applications in alternative formats. you can answer the application questions either in written, video or audio format and send via email with ‘Volunteer Application’ in the subject line or WeTransfer to email@example.com.