Birmingham International Dance Festival returns with a thrilling live programme
21 September – 3 October 2021
BIDF is back, it’s live and outdoors and in venues. The city’s signature festival, produced by Birmingham-based DanceXchange, runs from 21 September until 3 October 2021. Following a hugely successful Online festival in June, this autumn edition offers an imaginative and entertaining live programme, shining a light on the region’s amazing dance offer, engaging communities and celebrating diversity and inclusivity.
Taking place in locations across Birmingham including, Centenary Square, Digbeth, Handsworth Park and in Midlands Arts Centre the full programme – to be announced shortly – will invite audiences back into public places and spaces to enjoy amazing performances as well as welcoming audiences back into the city’s venues.
- Two new Hip Hop commissions as part of ‘Roaming Dance’ a partnership with Punch through Gallery37 North. Working with young people from North West Birmingham, Just US Dance Theatre with choreographer Joseph Toonga present Born to Protest and Hip Hop Dance Artist Emma Houston and World Champion beatboxer & musician Bellatrix present new work Like Mercury.
- Beyond Borders: We Have A Choice, a joyful, live dance sequel to the film Beyond Borders which was created earlier this year with over 130 young dancers in the West Midlands.
- A creative dance workshop programme in schools plus public free dance classes featuring styles from Hip Hop and circus to flamenco.
- The World Premiere of operatic dance-drama Mariposa by DeNada Dance Theatre at The Patrick Studio, a Queer tragedy inspired by Puccini’s Madame Butterfly.
- Loop, a fascinating exhibition and performance at Eastside Projects.